Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Some Winter Green...Lacewing

Given that we are cruising into late January and Newfoundland finally has a taste of winter, maybe we can look to what lies ahead.  The land will be green again some day!

There are numerous bugs which live among us each summer and go without notice.  This is especially true for those who mind their own business, don't bite or crawl through our houses. 

The Green Lacewing is such a fellow.  I first saw one on the west coast of Newfoundland in the 1980s.  Now they are spread throughout but are still easy to miss.  As the name implies, the wings are very fine works of lace. The eyes can be golden in colour.  If they are resting on plants they are near invisible - about an inch long.  Lacewings are rarely inside your house. Sometimes they give off an unpleasant odour when handled.  I tend to leave them alone - the wings are just too easily damaged. 

Lacewings, both as larvae and adults, are very beneficial in the garden - they feed on aphids.  They pose no threat to people.  Next summer enjoy these little pieces of lace, and let them go their way untouched!

2 comments:

  1. I keep finding these lacewing bugs IN my house, all summer long! I don't know where they're coming from. I just know I want them gone! I don't garden, although my landlord has some kind of fruit tree in the backyard, and the room I've always found them in has a window that faces the backyard. Could they be coming in through the air conditioner? Please help.... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    That's really unfortunate. The air conditioner seems unlikely. It would seem that either (1) a lacewing laid eggs inside and they grew - now wanting to get outside or (2) there is a gap somewhere in your house where they are coming in. Lacewing young feed on aphids and want to be outside. If inside they are trapped and have no interest there. Hopefully they will disappear soon. Good luck.
    T.

    ReplyDelete